Saturday, March 16, 2013

Denver to Kansas to Oklahoma

Denver, CO was such an amazing show.  The energy, the city and the venue were great.  They played at the Marquee which is a pizza joint/venue.  I was pretty stoked to find out they served pizza.  I hadn't had any since I left Austin and I absolutely love pizza.  The crowd was super into the show and all around it was a good time.

This awesomely helpful One-Eyed Doll VIP named Andrew helped me break down the gear after their set.  Its so incredibly nice to have help after a show.  Things are so frantic during the set change that an extra pair of hands helping out and breaking down gear is welcome.  He even helped me pack stuff up into the van.

During Otep's set the crowd went nuts. 

After the show we hung out with some OED VIPs at Denny's and had a great time.  They bought our meals which I'm incredibly grateful for.  Any help along the Road is welcomed.

After Denny's it was time to drive all the way to Kansas.  But, we only made it about 2 hours outside of town before having to pull over for the night at a truck stop.  I woke up before everyone at about 8 and got us back on the road to Kansas.  It was nice driving in peace and quiet for a while. 

I honestly don't remember how long it took us together.  After a while everything just starts to blend together.  We got to the Cotillion in one piece, though Google Maps did take us into some neighborhood not even close to the place.  For the most part Google Maps is amazing but every once in a while it'll screw up big time.  Nothings perfect though!

The show went off without a hitch and we had two people buy VIP passes.  Kim ended up taking the offer of this woman who said she would feed us back at her Moms place.  I was so tired that I passed out in the back seat while Jason drove us over there.  When I woke up the van was completely dark, I looked outside and realized I had no idea where we were or where anyone was.  There were houses but I didn't know which one was the right house so I just went back to sleep and hoped for the best. 

A short while later, Kim woke me up and told me that they were making food inside so I got up and went in.  These were some of he most hospitable people I have ever met.  They made us and the VIPs homemade chicken soup, homemade biscuits and gravy.  Apparently the gravy recipe had been in the family for over 100 years.  It was literally the best gravy I'd ever had.  Probably clogged an artery just from that serving but it was worth it.

After we were done eating we continued on our way to .  Had to stop by a motel for the evening as we were tired as hell but we made it and holed up for the night.  In the morning we got up and headed the rest of the way to Oklahoma  The Chameleon is a pretty big club.

In OK the drummer for Otep fucked up his foot.  Freak accident occurred where he tripped on the pavement and a huge gash opened up on the side of his foot.  Headed over to CVS with the drummer from Picture Me Broken (we drummers gotta stick together) and I bought him some medical supplies while Kim kept pressure on the wound back at the venue. 

Once we got back Kim dressed the wound.  I thought Kim's badassery couldn't increase any further but apparently I was wrong.  This girl can do it all.  Once bandaged he got up and I could see his foot was still hurting however like a true bad ass he played the show and you couldn't even tell he was injured.  Dude is a legend in the making.

And with that, I gotta get back to driving.  Need to get us to the next gig!

No comments:

Post a Comment